Friday, October 14, 2011

The RED Couch

Our new couch...is...RED.

Mark and I found this lovely piece at Sofa Mart last weekend. It was a floor model and beckoned for us to take her home. I never thought my home would house modern furniture. I never thought I would choose something so bright...and did I mention that it's RED??

In contemplating if it should be a permanent fixture in our home, a major feature began to sway us. It is made of enduro suede. This means it would resist kid spills AND would make lovely tire track marks for Josiah and Noah's vechicles. The best part was that we both loved it! This was the piece for us.

After putting it in our living room, I've found myself sizing it up. Does it "work" in here? I've honestly tried not to like it. But secretly I keep smiling at it. It makes me happy.

On Monday afternoons, I spend time in the Word and prayer with some special women. This Monday, Riccara was sitting on our new couch (and looking very sleek and beautiful, I might add). We were talking about prayer. How prayer often is hard and, sadly, one of the first things to drop when life gets busy. I stopped, looked at that precious couch, and felt a nudging to get on my knees before it. Riccara joined me and we prayed. The change of posture and submission before God was beautiful.

I discovered that the red couch is the perfect height for kneeling prayer.  It is now a home of communication before God. In my traditional styled home, this piece is unique. It is set apart. Looking forward I see the enduro suede fabric becoming  stained with tears and losing its tire tracking ability. But that's okay. May our red couch always be a place of prayer.

Romans 15:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment